As with any supplement there are dosing guidelines. With hemp extracts being in its infancy you may be wondering what is the ideal CBD dosage? The FDA has not released a recommended daily allowance (RDA) as in the case when taking vitamins or mineral supplements.
When beginning a daily CBD regiment or taking it to get a desired result for something specific, each person will react differently and may require a varying dosing. Therefore, it is best to begin at a low dose. You can always increase the dose and see how your body reacts. Each person’s own body chemistry, eating habits, age, weight, metabolism and genetics has an impact on how well you will react to CBD. How recently you have ingested a meal may also play a part in how quickly the CBD’s effect will be felt.
Try a low dose like 10mg and work your way up incrementally every 3-4 days until you feel desired results. If being used to treat something such as aches and soreness after a strenuous day, a larger dose may be required. Keeping a log book of how you feel afterwards can also be beneficial in honing in on your ideal CBD dosage.
Below are some recommendations from the MAYO clinic:
Mayo Clinic suggests CBD dosages based on scientific research, publications, traditional use, and expert opinion. Cannabinoid dosages and duration of treatment depend mainly on the illness (and countless other factors).
The following list from Mayo Clinic provides ideal CBD dosage recommendations for various illnesses:
- Loss of Appetite in Cancer Patients: 2.5mg of THC (orally), with or without 1mg of CBD for six weeks.
- Chronic Pain: 2.5-20mg of CBD [with or without THC] (orally).
- Epilepsy: 200-300mg of CBD (orally) daily.
- Movement Problems Due to Huntington’s Disease: 10mg of CBD per kg of body weight daily for six weeks (orally).
- Sleep Disorders: 40mg-160mg of CBD (orally).
- Multiple Sclerosis (MS) symptoms: Cannabis plant extracts containing 2.5-120 milligrams of a THC/CBD combination daily for 2-15 weeks. Patients typically use eight sprays within any three hours, with a maximum of 48 sprays in any 24-hour period.
- Schizophrenia: 40-1,280mg oral CBD daily.
- Glaucoma: A single sublingual CBD dosage of 20-40mg (>40 mg may increase eye pressure).
There is no possible way to overdose on hemp oil making experimenting with finding your ideal CBD dosage safe.
There is no established lethal dose of CBD, and chronic use/high doses of up to 1500 mg per day have been repeatedly shown to be well tolerated by humans.
As with any natural product, it is important to speak with your physician prior to beginning use.